Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sewingmamas.com Summer Doll Quilt Swap


SMSummerDQS, originally uploaded by myittybittyquilts.

Here is the little quilt I did for my partner on the www.sewingmamas.com doll quilt swap. I saw a mini Trip Around the World in an old (at least 20 years!) quilt magazine and sketched out a version in my handy dandy graph paper notebook, adding it to my to-do someday list. Just a few weeks ago, I saw that the super talented Red Pepper Quilts had done one of these in stunning primary colors. LOVE! Well, that quickly moved this project up from the TO-DO to the MUST-DO :) I was pretty sure that I didn't want to just cut and piece all those little pieces so I used a very thin fusible web and ironed on all the squares (cut 1 1/2" each), then sewed the vertical seams first and then horizontal. I used some of my favorite bright summery fabrics all framing that one little Heather Ross mushroom.
I quilted this little one in an all over diagonal pattern and bound with a solid red.
The quilt is in the hands of my partner now and I think I might need one for my wall, too :)

4 comments:

Vicki said...

wow! I love it! Beautiful! This pattern's been on my list for a long time, too. A mini one sounds perfect... how big are your finished squares?

Kelli said...

Thanks, Vicki! The squares finish at 1" :)

Leslie said...

this is so beautiful. you did an amazing job

Kendra said...

That is simply beautiful. I love it and may have to put it on my must-do list for my daughter (Christmas present!)